André DERAIN (1880-1954)
Le port de Collioure, 1905
School of painting: Modern
Medium: Oil on canvas
Signed lower left a.derain
33 x 41.3 cm
13 x 16 1/4 inches
Ambroise Vollard (?)
Georges de Braux
Sherburn M. Becker
Thence by descent to the present owner
Geneva, Musée de l’Athénée Genève, André Derain 1880 – 1954, 16 July - 6 October 1959, excat no 5.
Georges Hilaire, Derain, Pierre Cailler éditeur, Genève, 1959, no54, illustrated
Louis Vauxcelles, Le Fauvisme, Pierre Cailler éditeur, Genève, 1959, illustrated front cover
Gaston Diehl, Derain, Paris, Flammarion 1964, illustrated
Gaston Diehl, Derain, New-York, Crown, 1977, p.14, illustrated
N. Kalitina, A. Barskaïa, E. Gheorghievskaïa, André Derain, Le peintre à l’épreuve du feu, Parkstone Aurora, 1995, p. 64 illustrated
This work has been authenticated by the Comité Derain
André Derain, after three years of military service, returned to Chatou in 1904 to resume his collaboration with Maurice de Vlaminck. During the 1905 summer, for two months, he joined Henri Matisse in Collioure, one of the leading figures of Fauvism.
The high points of Derain’s Fauve period were his paintings of Collioure and London in 1905 along with l’Estaque and London in 1906.
This view of Collioure shows a transition between Chatou’s works and the great compositions he realized during his trip in Collioure.
In this important Fauve work, at the height of the movement, Derain applies with large colour patches and one can see very specifically the attention he gives to the light effect. His own words were: “Without shadow, a world of clarity and brightness”.
This painting has remained in the same collection for more than fifty years and it is exhibited for the first time in England.